[asa] ASA Discussion Protocol

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 20:33:11 EDT

After returning from a week out of the country, I finally had a chance to review the thread that caused understandable consternation last weekend. I had urged Denis Lamoureux a few weeks ago to respond directly to David Opderbeck's comments since I felt they were important questions that I thought should be answered personally by the author. In our discussion we talked about what attitudes were and were not appropriate for the listserv. It is clear to all of us that the comments made this past weekend were far from the mark and unacceptable in ASA. Accordingly, Denis has been moved to the "read-only" status, and he has unsubscribed. The most egregious of the notes will be purged from the archives.

Furthermore, Denis has asked me to post the following apology to all of you:

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen,
It is painfully obvious that I need to apologize to David
Opderbeck for shameful remarks that I directed at him
on the Listserv. About an hour ago (Apr 16), I phoned
David at Seton Hall. I apologized for my over-the-top
rhetoric, and he graciously accepted my apology.
Thank you, David.

There are no excuses. The only comment I will make is
that there was a little voice saying: don't press the send
button. I sinned, because I know well Who was telling me
to delete the messages.

David has also kindly agreed to "turn the clock back" to
re-start our conversation about my paper in PSCF. This
will not be a debate. It will be a conversation. There
will be no losers, but all winners. And if we agree to
disagree, that will be perfectly acceptable.

Blessings,
Denis

Randy