Re: [asa] Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: Merv <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 20:20:59 EDT

George Murphy wrote:

> & yes, there are disagreements about that too. Failure to appreciate
> that our original state is indeed sinful - i.e., that our sin of
> origin is indeed sin - leads to various errors, such as works
> righteousness & denial of infant baptism.
>
> At which I will pause & wait for the firestorm to erupt.
>
> Shalom
> George
> http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/ <http://web.raex.com/%7Egmurphy/>
Probably won't be any firestorms from your neighboring friendly
Anabaptists over the baptism issue, as long as
silence isn't mistaken for ascent. :-)

--Merv

p.s. I've heard our pastors (one of them anyway) refer to himself as a
Christian humanist. I think he must take our original state as being
"very good" at its very inmost core, and he would probably hearken back
to creation accounts to get that. Then the fall is an overlay of that
core, that while it has indeed become a humanly inseparable part of our
identity needing redemption, still does not negate the existence of that
originally good core. I hope I'm not misrepresenting his views, but I
think he bristles at any sort of "worm theology" as giving sin an
existential status beyond what Scripture accords. (Other than the
'humanist' comment, this is mostly conjecture on my part; I don't
usually pursue discussions about this with our pastors -maybe I
should!) Also note --this was in no way an argument for salvation by
works, or that some "seed of good" automatically puts us in right
relationship with God. Our leadership is orthodox in recognizing our
absolute need for Christ.