Re: [asa] Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 15:03:06 EDT

I wonder if we have been trying to put too much of a historical and
causal interpretation on original sin. I think the common Hebrew term
translated "sin" means "error." /chat/, etc. The common Greek term is
/hamartia/, missing the mark. In other words, we are dealing with moral
imperfection, a necessary consequence of finitude. The Fall was the
ancient explanation for this consequence of finitude in keeping with the
broad tradition of a Golden Age.

This general failure is different from the deliberate act, /pasha/ and
/anomia/. I leave the connection between failure and lawlessness
unexplained here. I'd expect fireworks here, and more than George expects
from the first paragraph.
Dave (ASA)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:15:58 -0400 "George Murphy" <gmurphy@raex.com>