Re: [asa] Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: Dave Wallace <wdwllace@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 06:35:44 EDT

Gregory Arago wrote:
> A thought just came into mind for George: since it appears you hold the
> position that 'Adam and Eve weren't real' (at least not 'historically
> real,' i.e. flesh and blood living persons, though they were/are still
> 'theologically real'), what do you claim as the first 'historical' event
> or action in the Bible? When does 'Biblical history' converge with
> 'actual, real history' in regard to human persons?

Good question. I recall Glen Morton's comment to the effect that for
some on the list, much in the Bible is not historically real or only
incidentally historically true but mainly theological truth. I hope
that Glen was wrong but sometimes I wonder.

> If I'm understanding the TE/EC position, using part of George's response
> to Dave W. below, would it make sense to say something like, 'we (i.e.
> humanity) evolved into losing the kind of relationship that God
> intended'?

Gregory, I am not sure there is an EC position here. Rather what you
have is George's position and George is a TE/EC. When I read Helmut
Thielicke, another Lutheran EC in "How the World Began", I get the
impression that he considers the result of primal disobedience to be
more than just lost potential, as do I.

Dave W