Re: [asa] Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 03:16:22 EDT

A thought just came into mind for George: since it appears you hold the position that 'Adam and Eve weren't real' (at least not 'historically real,' i.e. flesh and blood living persons, though they were/are still 'theologically real'), what do you claim as the first 'historical' event or action in the Bible? When does 'Biblical history' converge with 'actual, real history' in regard to human persons?

  I find David O's question about 'ascent' rather than 'descent' still a good one because in *most* evolutionary narratives, noting that people are using the related but independent word 'development' in special cases now, the verb 'to evolve' means to improve, advance, progress, get better, bigger, stronger, smarter, more complex, etc. However, a 'fall/Fall' implies downwardness, at least in its 'visual' sense. Personally, I see this as far too much 2dimensionality for our electronic-age, but let me leave that point here for now.

  If I'm understanding the TE/EC position, using part of George's response to Dave W. below, would it make sense to say something like, 'we (i.e. humanity) evolved into losing the kind of relationship that God intended'? Or is this too agent-less, passive, without responsibility or guilt in its sound to the eye/ear?

George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com> wrote:
          To Dave W: The primary thing that humanity lost was the development of the kind of relationship with God that God intended.

  To Dave O: It depends on what is meant by "essential historicity." As I've said, I think that Gen.2 & 3 (we are not really considering 1 here) tells us something that is true theologically about the first humans. But if by "essential historicity" Silva means that Gen.1-3 is all historical narrative then the only necessary response is "Nonsense," with reference to the lack of any mention of such "essential historicity of Genesis 1-3" in the ecumenical creeds in support.

  Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/