[asa] Adam & Eve- Billy Graham's take

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 17:13:15 EDT

From my news alerts today:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/graham/358222_billy416.html?source=rss

God's gift of free will ensures decisions are honest

By DR. BILLY GRAHAM
SYNDICATED COLUMNIST

DEAR DR. GRAHAM: Why did God allow Adam and Eve to sin? He must have
known what they were going to do, and it seems to me that it would've
been better if He had just stopped them. The world was already perfect,
so why didn't God keep it that way? I've always wondered about this. --
R.M.

DEAR R.M.: The opening chapters of the Bible tell us what happened when
Adam and Eve committed the first sin -- but they don't tell us exactly
why God allowed it to happen. We must be careful, therefore, not to
blame God for something that is ultimately beyond our understanding.

At the same time, the Bible does tell us two very important truths about
Adam and Eve's sin. First, it tells us that they were completely free to
love God -- or to reject Him. In other words, they weren't robots! God's
warning was clear: "You must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of
good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die" (Genesis
2:17).

But what if they had been robots -- that is, what if they didn't have
any will of their own, and all they could do was love God? Then their
"love" for God wouldn't have been love at all -- because love always
involves a choice or a decision on our part. God took a great risk in
creating them with a free will -- but only then could their love for Him
be real.

The other truth the Bible tells us, however, is that while sin's
consequences were great -- God's love is even greater. The proof is that
He sent His only Son into the world so we could have our sins forgiven.
Have you turned to Jesus Christ for the forgiveness and new life you
need?

Bernie Dehler (bernie.dehler@intel.com)
503-317-0746

     "It's turtles all the way down!"