Re: [asa] Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 16:42:08 EDT

What do y'all do with a quote like this from Moises Silva: "Now I happen to
believe that the essential historicity of Genesis 1-3 is a fundamental
article of Christian orthodoxy." (Silva, in Inerrancy and Hermeneutic, ed.
Harvy Conn, at p. 75). (Note that Silva also says "I would want to argue
just as strongly that such an interpretation is independent of my commitment
to inerrancy.").

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Dave Wallace <wdwllace@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> George Murphy wrote:
>
> Don: Collins' approach is fairly close to mine - see, e.g., my chapter
> > "Christology, Evolution, and the Cross" in the same book. I wouldn't say -
> > & I don't think Collins would - that through the work of Christ "the effect
> > of original sin is reversed" because that suggests being brought back to an
> > originally perfect state. Instead, the evolutionary development of humanity
> > is re-oriented toward the eschatological goal that God intends.
> >

> George are you saying that nothing was lost when man/mankind disobeyed
> God? If one believes, as I do, that (at a minimum) something was lost in
> the relationship between God and man, then is not the effect of original sin
> reversed, at least to some extent? I am not assuming either a literal Adam
> or an initial perfect condition of mankind.
>
> Dave W

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School