Re: [asa] IPCC on Colorado River Basin

From: Rich Blinne <>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 15:22:47 EDT

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:29 AM, George Cooper <>

> While at an expo in Vegas last month, there was excitement and arguments
> over a newly discovered aquifer to the North that will augment the runoff
> shortage. The extent of this aquifer was not known to my cab driver. :)
> GeorgeA

The following is from the Las Vegas Ground Water Management Program. (I
didn't find any references here to any new ground water sources):

Groundwater levels have been rising in most of the long-term monitoring
> wells, the principal aquifer and the central part of the valley since 1990.
> Artificial recharge has indirectly helped stabilize groundwater levels in
> many parts of the basin. Since 1988, more than 200,000 acre feet of water
> have been added back into the groundwater supply.
> *While the water level rose in some parts of the valley during the 1990s,
> it continues to decline on the peripheral parts of the metropolitan area,
> the site of many domestic and community wells.*
> The Southern Nevada population reached 1.2 million in 1998. The growth
> brought a surge of new residents, many of whom have grass lawns. In the hot
> summer months, residents use as much as 90 percent of the drinking water
> supply to irrigate their lawns, contributing to an increase in the shallow
> aquifer.
> Total pumping from the groundwater basin is about 75,000 acre feet per
> year. However, water recharged into the aquifers by both natural and
> artificial processes as well as secondary recharge of the shallow aquifer is
> still greater than the total water pumped out, helping stabilize the
> groundwater supply.
> Today, *Lake Mead remains our valley's main source of water*,* with
> groundwater supplementing that source and helping to meet peak demands in
> the summer*. The Southern Nevada Water Authority <> is
> committed to finding and implementing long-term solutions to our area's
> water resource needs. The Las Vegas Valley Groundwater Management Program is
> part of a comprehensive effort to protect the valley's groundwater supply
> and ensure its availability to users for years to come.[Emphasis mine]

But note the following:

There is a 50 percent chance Lake Mead, a key source of water for millions
> of people in the southwestern United States, will be dry by 2021 if climate
> changes as expected and future water usage is not curtailed, according to a
> pair of researchers at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA

To unsubscribe, send a message to with