Re: [asa] Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 10:25:31 EDT

Bethany said:  "...the devastating effects of sin on the world ..."

I think that the fall's effects are limited to man and his relationship with God.  I think the fall of man had little to no effect on creation itself.  If we are to take the story literally, the only effects mentioned are pain in childbirth, the snake slithering on its belly, and man being required to work the soil to get it to produce.  All of those things are not to be taken literally in my opinion, and are just further examples of the author of Genesis incorportating existing myths into the creation story.

On Tue Apr 15 9:51 , "Bethany Sollereder" sent:

Hey,

I've just finished "God in Creation" by Moltmann.  I think he'd feel pretty strongly about rejecting the idea of "a fall upward".  In fact, in one of his other articles ("Cosmic Christ") he even talks about evolution itself running counter to redemption.

As for Adam and Eve, I also wasn't quite sure how to answer either, because if they are not real then they simply represent all that you would get from Genesis if you read the account simply: the creation of humanity, humanity's rejection of God, the devastating effects of sin on the world and on human relationships, the alienation of man from God... the list goes on.  And it gets even more interesting if you start contrasting the Genesis creation myth with the creation myths of surrounding cultures (as you well know).  The character of God in Genesis is absolutely unique.

Bethany Sollereder