Re: [asa] Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: Jack <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2008 - 06:46:09 EDT

I dont know anything about Moltmann so maybe I should keep silent. But I see the trajectory differently.

As far as I can tell there is nothing about our cognitive abilities that did not come through evolution. We are animals in that sense. But whoever Adam was, he was the first one placed into a relationship with God, and as a result of this was unique, the imago dei, a physical animal a spiritual being, the first Man. But the trajectory then turned downward at the fall, and Man became little more than animals again. Christ was then needed to show us what a spiritual/physical being is supposed to be. And he is necessary to restory us to that condition. The difference between my view and the falling up view, is that Adam had an opportunity that humans since then have never had, but he made the wrong choice, and condemed us to a condition with the need for redemption.

The ancient sacrificial system is a "type" that forshadows Christ's ultimate atonement.