Re: [asa] Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 21:58:20 EDT

George, I wonder in this connection if you've come across the notion of the
fall as a "falling up" rather than a "falling down." I'm not sure if this
resonates with the view of Robin Collins that Don mentions in the next
post. The idea here is that human beings gradually developed the capability
of moral reasoning and of relating intentionally to others and to God. As
this capability developed we continually chose to do that which we had
learned was wrong, and chose not to do that which we had learned was right.
Under this view, the story of Adam & Eve is a representation of humanity's
choices, which continue even today as our sense of morality, as well as our
capabilities for contravening that sense, continue to evolve. But there is
a difference today in that the cross reorients us towards God and changes
our trajectory.

I started reading Jurgen Moltmann's autobiography this week, though I
haven't yet read any of Moltmann's work firsthand --- would I be correct in
sensing that this idea of an "upward fall" that gets reoriented at the cross
resonates with Motlmann's theology of hope?

Here is a question about all this: does it really do justice to the ancient
sacrificial system and the substitutionary atonement? (I trust that in
pursuing this no one suspects me of waiving around any academic body parts.)

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law