Re: [asa] Who do Adam & Eve represent? (Was: Was Adam a real person?)

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 20:38:23 EDT

Well, the small number of responses to the "Who do Adam & Eve represent? thread in comparison with the large volume of "Was Adam a real person?" ones indicates that not many on this list are interested in pursuing the 1st question. I find this unfortunate. Perhaps I could have phrased that 1st question better but I think my intention was fairly clear - i.e., what do the texts about the 1st man & 1st woman in Genesis mean if those texts aren't to be understood as historical narratives &, in particular, if Adam & Eve were not historical individuals?

The fact that folks here would rather debate the 2d question & instead of the 1st suggests that they aren't very interested in doing serious theological thinking about evolution. Neither those who believe in a "real Adam" nor those who don't want to wrestle with questions about what it means theologically for human beings - and, in particular, Jesus of Nazareth - to be members of an evolved species.

So I think Gregory is right that most participants here feel safer dealing with science than with theology. I find his characterization of theology - really his dismissal of theology - most unfortunate. Theology is, in the classic phrase, "faith in search of understanding." Should Christians not want to understand? Or to put it even more simply, theology is just thinking about what we believe? Are Christians not supposed to think about that? Are we supposed to leave our brains at the church door?

(Of course the "inevitable mythology" of theology is just Gregory's rhetoric.)

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/