RE: [asa] Expelled Explained

From: Donald F Calbreath <dcalbreath@whitworth.edu>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 18:33:56 EDT

Goof afternoon everyone:

One last set of comments and then I'm signing off this discussion for a vacation in Cancun.

Thanks for all the comments. The issue of academic freedom is an important one. A private institution (such as the Christian university that I recently retired from) has the legal right and the moral responsibility to its supporters to state publicly where it stands on issues. So do churches and seminaries - in both places, there are important doctrinal positions that need to be expressed and affirmed. A public university is expected to be non-sectarian; to do otherwise constitutes religious discrimination. I suppose a school could make a clear statement that intelligent design is not acceptable - Mike Behe's school has done so as has the University of Idaho where Scott Minnich teaches. I suspect that doing this might decrease the legal risks but might also serve to antagonize further a portion of the tax-paying public who is already getting very bothered about the overall anti-religious tone of higher education. I'll leave that to the lawyers.

In terms of Sternberg, the congressional committee ruled that he had experienced significant discrimination. He followed standard peer review procedures and caught a lot of flack for it. The folks who critcise ID for not having peer-reviewed publications in the science literature might want to ask whether or not anything that sounds like ID could even get a fair hearing.

The emails from UI that have become public after the Gonzales tenure denial make it very clear that he experienced clear religious discrimination by the university. I suspect that it will be in the courts once the internal university review is finished.

Anyhow, we all forget some of the details (and I'm as guilty as the next person). However, a quick dismissal of ID as "bad science" does strike me as a little strange. I see much more discussion of recent science papers on their listserv than I do here. Something to think about.

Hasta luego.

Don