RE: [asa] Expelled Explained (firing those you don't agree with)

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 18:15:06 EDT

Hi David, you wrote:

>>Finally, when it comes to extra-curricular writing and speaking --
work that isn't directly related to my professional obligations --
academic freedom means I ought to be free to think and say whatever I
want, however stupid it might be.<<

You're free to say what you want, they're free to retain those who tow
the line. I don't see any problem with that. Do you? A university
depends on its reputation to attract quality, tuition paying students.
If a faculty member by their publications or their public appearances
besmirches or impugns the reputation of that institution said
institution has every right within their contractual obligations and
tenure requirements to retain or terminate that person. A university
must retain a competitive edge in the marketplace for students and
endowments. That's called free market capitalism. That's one of the
hallmarks of our society.

When I was in the Air Force and went to Viet Nam there was a physician
who was an Air Force captain and refused to serve in Viet Nam. My
thought at the time was that if you've taken the money in return for
your service you are obliged to perform that service. It wasn't like he
had to join the Air Force. He willingly gave up his rights by taking
the money, then he tried to renege. The same principle applies here.
If a university hires a professor and the professor receives money from
the institution and the institution says you can't go to church on
Sunday, you either refuse the employment or take up golf. There is no
requirement to accept the terms of employment - you can go elsewhere.

Dick Fischer. author, lecturer
Historical Genesis from Adam to Abraham
www.historicalgenesis.com