RE: [asa] Expelled Explained (firing those you don't agree with)

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 17:48:32 EDT

Merv said:
"If private enterprises want to assume certain fundamental answers so
they can move on with their mission, that is perfectly understandable
and expected."

  What is the difference between public and private when both are ran by
professionals with an agenda to further? I'm not saying the agenda is
good or bad, but it is specific. I would think that universities are
very careful as to who their professors are. They'd love to get Nobel
peace prize winners to boast about. They want to boast about
cutting-edge research. By and large the mainstream science rejects ID,
so it would be an embarrassment to a mainstream scientific institution
trying to make a name for themselves. Just because they are public
doesn't mean they have to allow anything and everything in (under the
guise of "intellectual freedom"). I'd imagine it is up to the President
of the University to lead the University into a certain direction, and
if people don't like it, they will fire him and get someone else to do
the job.

  Dick is taking a position on what is good or bad science. I'm not.
I'm saying it is all about the University and where the leader wants to
take it, and you have to get like-minded people to accomplish your
goals. These people want to be famous and try to make break-throughs...
not get mired in debates over different opinions and going in different
directions. If you want to make a break-through in evolutionary
science, you don't hire people who believe in ID; If you want to make an
ID break-through, you don't hire researchers who are evolutionist. You
hire and retain/promote the people who have a passion for the direction
of the institution, and can further the cause.

  My post #4 for today...

Bernie Dehler

"It's turtles all the way down!"