Re: [asa] Expelled Explained (firing those you don't agree with)

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 17:26:46 EDT

Dick, I think your conflating a couple of different issues concerning
academic freedom.

You're quite correct that academic freedom doesn't mean a professor is free
to teach just anything. A university can and should have curricular
standards to which teachers must adhere. When I teach Torts in the first
semester of law school, I have to cover the rules of torts.

However, academic freedom does mean that I can't critique the existing rules
of torts in class as I teach them, even if the university administration
doesn't agree with my critique. Now, there's a fuzzy line here -- if my
critique is so stupid that it detracts from teaching the core concepts, I
might not be fulfilling my obligation to teach the basic curriculum.

When it comes to publishing and public speaking in fulfillment of my
professional obligations, academic freedom means I have even more latitude
to offer opinions that are contrary to the received consensus. The
administration has essentially no right at all to censor my professional
writing or speaking. That role is supposed to be played by my peers,
through professional societies, peer review, etc.

Finally, when it comes to extra-curricular writing and speaking -- work that
isn't directly related to my professional obligations -- academic freedom
means I ought to be free to think and say whatever I want, however stupid it
might be. If I choose to offer an unpopular opinion on a blog, or email
list, or in the trade press, that is my right. Of course, if I spend all my
time on that sort of thing and don't publish "ordinary" work in
peer-approved outlets, the school might dismiss me for not meeting my
professional obligations. (One bit of fuzziness here -- if I'm speaking on
my own behalf and am engaged in something particularly controversial, I
might have a duty to make clear that my school is not necessarily endorsing
my views).

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law