Re: [asa] Expelled Explained (firing those you don't agree with)

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 14:01:02 EDT

Bernie -- the problem here is that academic freedom is central to the
mission of any public university and of most private universities. Academic
freedom is a primary reason some of us choose to teach instead of making the
big bucks at Intel.

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
wrote:

> Gordon- that is exactly it! If a college fires someone for ID mentality,
> it is because ID mentality goes against the institution's view and stand on
> science and what they want to be known for, their "brand." If a university
> wants to be known as on the fore-front of evolutionary science, then an
> ID'er would kill their reputation... they want and need like-minded people
> to fulfill their *mission*.
>

> I work for Intel and am working on book ideas, but I won't be mentioning
> my employer. They don't share my view. I can't use Intel as a platform,
> but then again, I have total freedom to say whatever I want. If a Prof.
> writes a book, what they say reflects on their institution (if they mention
> where they teach), as they'd have no platform (no job) if it wasn't for
> their institution, and it looks implicitly like their institution supports
> them. Same with a preacher, reflecting his views upon the entire church.
> The key is to work for an outfit that shares your view if that outfit will
> be known as employing you.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School