Re: [asa] Expelled Explained

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 10:27:57 EDT

On Apr 14, 2008, at 7:14 AM, Donald F Calbreath wrote:

> Do you really feel it's OK to treat people the way these folks
> have been treated?

If you followed the Gonzalez debate while his case was still pending
you will see that it is often VERY difficult to know all the facts. In
retrospect, it appears that the issue here was not ID but money. The
way the two are related was ID seems to be a science stopper. By that
I mean once a scientist becomes an ID proponent his research activity
comes to a standstill. The contrast of the amount of output between
when Gonzalez was a postdoc at UW and a professor at ISU was striking.
And it wasn't that Gonzalez specialization was all that obscure.
Exoplanet research is HOT right now. Furthermore, he didn't progress
any grad students. No grants, no students, no 'scope time, no tenure.
The same could be said about Michael Behe but he had the good sense
for this to happen AFTER he got tenure.

The climate change skeptical movement and the IDM needs to shoulder
some of the blame here. They encourage publishing in the popular media
rather than in scientific journals. The one grant Gonzalez got was
from the Templeton Foundation to publish the Privileged Planet. If
this was a grant to study say habitability of exoplanets I contend the
situation would have been much, much different. Largely, this stems
from a misunderstanding of scientific consensus. It is not a poll of
scientists and it is definitely not a poll of readers of popular
scientific works. ID can argue whether this is fair or not but
publishing in peer-reviewed scientific journals is the way careers are
advanced (and I would contend that science itself has progressed quite
well because of this very system). The reason why such journals are
important is because of the step after peer review is vital, namely
repeatability by others. Many of you will recall how fraud in
nanotechnology and stem cell research was uncovered by the failure to
replicate the results. In addition to this, you need to have students
and bring in the grants. For better or for worse a junior professor in
the sciences needs to bring in the money.

> Do you run ID and YEC members out of your churches?

Usually it's the other way around.

> I would hope we could separate the differing opinions we have from
> the abysmal treatment given to these "dissenters".

Would you say the same about the Enns dismissal at Westminster
Theological Seminary? Note that Enns was a tenured professor.