Re: [asa] Expelled Explained

From: Jack Haas <haas.john@comcast.net>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 10:00:04 EDT
Donald:

I not sure my comments are excuses or reasons.  Anyway.

Having spent my entire career in academic life I am well aware of the issues that arise even in the most idealistic Christian institutions.  Appearances, perceptions, motives,  and the "truth" of the matter
are difficult to discern even when one is part of decision making process.   Standards are more qualitative than quantitative.  Personalities count.  Consider how you will chose who you
will vote for in the presidential election.

One person's lynching is another's sigh of relief that the person is gone.

Professional scientific organization have learned to stay clear of such disputes.

I would note that there is another side to the (few) cases mentioned in the film.  Check out some of the non-ID controlled blogs.

Come to think of it, has anyone ever protested the cases where people have been dismissed from Christian institutions for their
views on geology or biology?

Some random thoughts on a cool New England morning.

Jack Haas

Donald F Calbreath wrote:
My colleagues on this listserv really disappoint me.  I posted this last Friday and got only one response, and that's not really a response.  Am I to assume that everyone here agrees with the intellectual lynching that is taking place in our academic institutions?  Do you really feel it's OK to treat people the way these folks have been treated?  Do you run ID and YEC members out of your churches?  I would hope we could separate the differing opinions we have from the abysmal treatment given to these "dissenters".

Don (ASA member, but probably not for much longer)