Re: [asa] personal introduction and a question about textbooks

From: Douglas Hayworth <haythere.doug@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 08:43:16 EDT

Rather than writing our own textbooks, I think it would be better if we
could reach an agreement with a major textbook publisher to write chapter
supplements for their preexisting textbooks that provide classroom
discussion and teacher resource materials on the connection to (a) religion
in general and/or (b) Christianity in specific. This would allow the
textbook publisher to market its textbooks more effectively to Christian
schools and it would allow us to focus on the issues we care about most.

Consider for example this program in the UK, in which many of our CiS
colleague are involved:
http://www.srsp.net/
I haven't read the materials yet, but I plan to order and review them.

In the online realm, we might also want to approach a group like
Understanding Evolution, which already serves as a portal for helping
Teachers, etc.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/home.php
Perhaps they would be willing to provide a link to a tangential/parallel
site of supplementary materials.

Finally, to comment on Jack Haas's reminder about the ASA site and it's link
to educational resources. As a homeschooling parent, I have not found any of
those links to be very helpful because it is just an eclectic list of links
to sites that have all varieties of specific content and organization on
only certain topics. Many are poorly implemented in terms of usability, etc.
I think a set of printed textbook supplements would be best. For an online
resource, something like the Understanding Evolution site (complete and
well-organized) would work better.

I've got lots of ideas about these things, and I'd love to be in on anything
we might decide to do. Unfortunately, for the next six weeks I'm very busy
with my most important project of at work.

Doug