Re: [asa] TE Evangelists

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Mon Apr 14 2008 - 08:20:10 EDT

Of course pastors can't be well educated in everything - no one can be today. But we live in a world heavily influenced by science & technology & one that will become increasingly so, & that is the world in which the church is called to carry out its mission. If pastors are going to function faithfully & intelligently in the real world, they need to have some degree of knowledge about it. I realize all too well that pastors have many other demands on their time & other areas that they feel they need to know about but that's not an excuse for ignoring this crucial area.

This is especially important when dealing with scientifically literate people & young people who are showing some interest in science. It is simply not acceptable when interacting with such people for clergy to say manifestly stupid things about science, show a complete lack of interest in them, or act as if such things shouldn't be talked about in church. There's nothing wrong with saying "That's a good question. I don't know the answer but I'll look into it" or something of the sort. That very different from implying that the church isn't the place for such questions.

None of which is to say that scientifically competent lay persons shouldn't play a major role here or that the pastor should forget her/his role as the primary theologian of the congregation. But there needs to be an overlap between those areas: The scientists need to know something of theology & the clergy something of science.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/