Re: [asa] water above the solid dome in Genesis

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 18:29:48 EDT

I find the argument very strained. To tie the report of a lack of rain to
the coast (note 8) when the story is specifically about Mesopotamia, and
what looks to me as something like the Mesopotamian original specifically
notes irrigation, doesn't ring true. I note that v. 10 is very specific
about a river as the means of watering the garden. Putting the rain in
the highlands when vv. 5f are supposed to be local rain seems to be one
of the ad hoc arguments to make things fit. It's well that the /'ed/ only
occurs twice in the entire text. This makes it easier to ascribe any of a
wide variety of meanings to it.

As for note 13, it seems not to take into account natural watering and
the effort of many to produce irrigation canals. Irrigation doesn't just
happen.
Dave (ASA)