Re: [asa] TE Evangelists

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sun Apr 13 2008 - 16:20:49 EDT

Yes, one shouldn't preach (or teach) about evolution without having some grasp of the science that's involved. That's also true for cosmology, stem cell research, environmental issues or anything else in which science &/or science-based technology plays a major role. That's why seminaries need to include courses on science & theology or (even better but probably less likely, integrate that material into systematic theology courses). & such courses should give some attention to dealing with science & technology issues in parish settings & other situations of ministry. In "The Science-Theology Dialogue" that I teach at Trinity Seminary in Columbus I try to deal with issues in appropriately scholarly ways but the assignments I give are things like development of a lesson plan for a confirmation class on creation or writing a church newsletter article on some controversial scientific discovery instead of standard "term paper" stuff.

Continuing education events for pastors who are already in parish ministry are also needed. If pastors are scientifically illiterate, members of their congregation might gently encourage them to find a seminary or other institution that offers such opportunities.

With regard to your last paragraph, I had in mind particularly opportunities for adult education in congregations. Right now I'm teaching a course titled "God and Science 102" (because I led a quickie intro last fall as 101) at St. Paul's. But such classes needn't be led by clergy. It's one place where scientifically knowledgeable & theologically literate laypeople can make an important contribution. Volunteer.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/