Re: [asa] Expelled Explained

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 23:38:36 EDT

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Dennis Venema wrote:

> Thanks everyone, for the links. That is a certainly a lot more neutral than
> I thought it would be. I was under the impression that the ASA no longer had
> a significant YEC contingent.
>
> Now Iım a little confused: does the ASA officially accept the YEC and ID
> positions as valid scientific positions that Christians merely happen to
> disagree on?
>
> dennis

The YECs left the ASA a few decades ago in order to establish their own
organization where they could exclude Christians who didn't agree with
them. The ASA is large enough so that there may be a handful of YECs in
the membership, but I can't name any. ASA members on this list make up
only a relatively small fraction of the total membership and are probably
not an average cross-section of the total membership. Most ASA members
have probably never attended a national or local section ASA meeting, and
so it is difficult to deduce figures as to how many take what position on
origins issues. I am sure that there are a significant percentage of OECs
in the membership including some of the leaders of the ID movement. It
seems very possible to me that there has always been at least one OEC on
the Executive Council.

In spite of its official neutral position, ASA has published statements on
well established scientific facts. What I have in mind is the booklet
"Teaching Science in a Climate of Controversy." For example, it discusses
the Piltdown Hoax and the erroneous claims about the Paluxy River
Man-Tracks. I think it is all right for ASA to correct statements that are
obviously false.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)