Re: [asa] water above the solid dome in Genesis

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 23:00:20 EDT

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, D. F. Siemens, Jr. wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how rain can be denied in Genesis 2:5 and
> present, as mist, in 2:6. The /Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament/
> notes that /'ed/ of Genesis is apparently cognate with the Akkadian /edu/
> (both need diacritical marks), both the annual inundation of the
> Euphrates and irrigation. The other use is in Job 36:27, where they
> suggest "stream".
>
> One should also look at 2:10. The whole passage seems to fit the notion
> of water above the firmament with sluice gates letting it out. It appears
> from Psalm 148:4 that the notion of waters above the heavens persisted,
> and were given explicit limits by God. Was this psalm part of a very
> ancient tradition? It looks to me as though you are desperately trying to
> make the writers of scripture into modern scholars.
> Dave (ASA)

Translations of 'ed in Gen. 2:5 and Job 36:27 that I have come across
include fountain, streams, mist, vapor, and cloud. It looks as if the
translators had to do some guessing. Some translations of Job 36:27 make
it appear that it has something to do with the formation of rain.

I think that the context suggests the following outline for verses 5-8 of
Genesis 2.

2:5 desolate condition of Eden before the planting of the Garden
     reasons for this condition that would need correction before the
     planting of the Garden:
     (1) lack of rain
     (2) noone to care for a garden
2:6 correction of (1)