Re: [asa] water above the solid dome in Genesis

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 18:50:03 EDT

I'm trying to figure out how rain can be denied in Genesis 2:5 and
present, as mist, in 2:6. The /Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament/
notes that /'ed/ of Genesis is apparently cognate with the Akkadian /edu/
(both need diacritical marks), both the annual inundation of the
Euphrates and irrigation. The other use is in Job 36:27, where they
suggest "stream".

One should also look at 2:10. The whole passage seems to fit the notion
of water above the firmament with sluice gates letting it out. It appears
from Psalm 148:4 that the notion of waters above the heavens persisted,
and were given explicit limits by God. Was this psalm part of a very
ancient tradition? It looks to me as though you are desperately trying to
make the writers of scripture into modern scholars.
Dave (ASA)