RE: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Sat Apr 12 2008 - 13:19:34 EDT

Let me toss in a comment about ANE literature and what the ancients
thought. From the flood at 2900 BC to the time of Christ covers almost
3,000 years, and I can see that in general there is the temptation to
lump this entire period of Semitic history into one ANE mindset. One
can see the evolution of gods through time as new scribes concocted new
stories using existing gods but with new themes. Gods came into and
went out of favor. The moon god, Nanna or Nannar, at Ur during the
period of the Akkadians and Sumerians either became the moon god, Sin,
at Babylon, or perhaps, the Babylonians who worshipped the same moon had
a uniquely different god. How would you know?

Incidentally, does our word "sin" come from the name of the moon god who
is in opposition to the sun god?

The mindset of the Akkadians (Semites) up until the destruction of Ur
and the fall of the Sumerians around 2000 BC is not likely identical
with that of the Babylonians starting with Hammurabi. Here us a good
source to do a little research for those not interested in reading a lot
of books.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/asbook03.html

Dick Fischer. author, lecturer
Historical Genesis from Adam to Abraham