Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 21:23:47 EDT

Denis said: You have misread and misrepresented Walton's book.
But I guess misspeaking is standard and perfectly
acceptable for lawyers . .

I respond: Really, Denis, is this kind of garbage ad hominem argument
necessary? I don't think I've "misread" Walton's book at all, though that
certainly is possible. The claim that I've "misrepresented" it, however, is
just offensive, because that implies malicious intent. I've been around
here for a while, and if you understood that you'd know that I'm probably
more on your "side" than not. But don't try to bully me and don't confuse
me with Phil Johnson.

I've also corresponded several times with Walton about his book in the past
-- not in connection with this conversation -- and he made clear to me that
we can't consider the ANE people to have been doing "literal" cosmology in
the way that we would use the term "literal" because they were more
interested in "functions" than "causes." In fact, this distinction between
"functions" and "causes" is one of his main points about the ANE mindset,
and if you've read his IVP commentary on Genesis you'll see that this is why
he considers the "days" of Genesis 1 not to be "literal" days -- i.e., God's
statements about the sun and moon don't cause the sun and moon to come into
existence, they assign functions to the sun and moon of marking seasons and
days and years. How is Walton your "colleague," BTW? Are you at Wheaton
now?

So, if Walton is using the shorthand "Old World Science," fine -- but I
think he'd also agree that this does NOT imply "science" in the sense we use
that term today, meaning explanations of natural causes.

Anyway, let me ask you this:

-- do you agree that "science" as we define it today is limited to natural
explanations? Or do you contend that "science" as we define it today can
admit the immediate presence and activity of gods?

-- do you agree that ANE cosmology is contingent on the immediate presence
and activity of gods? Or do you contend that the Enuma Elish is a purely
naturalistic explanation of how the universe came to be?

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law