Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: Bethany Sollereder <bsollereder@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 20:26:22 EDT

Bernie,

I really like what you said in Q2 about the prodigal son, etc. I'd also
like to point out that I don't think the figures in Genesis are primarily
meant to teach us how to act at all. In fact, we'd pretty soon be in a
sticky place if we did try and imitate them. Rather, their lives point to
who God is. And isn't He the object of the faith for which they are
commended? I don't know that Adam ever does teach us anything commendable
about how to be obedient to God, but he does teach us that God will be
faithful beyond our faithlessness.

Gordon, I appreciate the questions you asked, but I'm not sure that they are
useful kinds of questions. What changes if you can definitely say "This
person is historic, but this person isn't"? How would it change the way you
read Hebrews 11?

Sincerely,

Bethany Sollereder