Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 19:05:00 EDT

Gordon, I think these are fair questions, and this is a key reason why I
personally can't just accept the "entirely fictitious" line of thinking.
However, these are offered as examples or archetypes in the canonical
stories of those whom the author of Hebrews was addressing, which perhaps
don't necessarily require absolute literalness -- the point is that we
should persevere as they did in the narratives we've inherited, not to
demonstrate the absolute historicity of those narratives. In other words,
maybe we can do some narrative theology here. But I admit, I personally
don't find this satisfying. Maybe Denis and some others can weight in
here...

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:28 PM, gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@colorado.edu>
wrote:

> I have a couple of questions that may be relevant for some of the opinions
> expressed on this thread.
>
> 1. Which of the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11 were real people, and which
> weren't?
>
> 2. How are you moved to stronger faith to "run the race with endurance" by
> the examples of those witnesses who aren't real people?
>
> Gordon Brown (ASA member)

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School