Re: Did they do good science Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: David Campbell <>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 16:10:40 EDT

> Now wait a moment. I grew up in Africa and some of the observations etc we biology types call science were equally good to ours. And If I remember isn't there a system called geometry we still teach that was developed by Euclid.
> Of course they got it wrong at the cellular level because they didn't have the instruments but don't sell some of these chaps short.
> I think Kuhn might just say that some of them were doing science.

> > I respond: Sigh. No, it's just anachronistic to call what the Babylonians
> > and ancient Hebrews were doing "science." Take a look at John Walton's book
> > "Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament." It is a completely
> > foreign mindset to our contemporary scientific worldview.

Are we talking about the overall set of beliefs, etc., or individual
actions in particular situations? I would say that anyone might do
science in a particular situation, but the specific practice of
science as such is a more modern and primarily Western development.

For example, the additions to Daniel describe a hypothesis and
experiment-the envious advisors claim that Darius put Daniel in a den
of lions that weren't hungry, and Darius tests this by putting them in
the den. Hypothesis failed the test. However, Darius did not
systematically investigate feline physiology.

Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections
University of Alabama
To unsubscribe, send a message to with