Re: [asa] Lungless frog

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 16:23:23 EDT

> Another evolutionary twist
> First Lungless Frog Found
> Or maybe just an "Easter egg" of Creation that we were slow to find(?).
> In any case, an interesting transitional creature.
> JimA [Friend of ASA]

Standard African clawed frogs (Xenopus) don't seem to use their lungs
much, spending most of their time underwater. Ordinary bullfrogs,
etc. can get all the oxygen they need through their skin if it's cold
(put one in ice water and watch it stop regular breathing, then resume
when it warms up). Fish, amphibians, and reptiles all can take up
oxygen through their skin if it's wet and through the lining of the
mouth and/or anus. Lungs or gills are useful, but not totally
necessary.

Snake relatives with hind limbs have been known for a while form the
fossil record-even standard boas and pythons have little stubs. In
turn, the snakes and proto-snakes are close kin to four-limbed
mosasaurs and monitor lizards.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections