Re: [asa] Expelled Explained

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 15:16:26 EDT

Dennis, the ASA's Statement of Belief says the following (
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/faithASA.html):

As an organization, the ASA does not take a position when there is honest
disagreement between Christians on an issue. We are committed to providing
an open forum where controversies can be discussed without fear of unjust
condemnation. Legitimate differences of opinion among Christians who have
studied both the Bible and science are freely expressed within the
Affiliation in a context of Christian love and concern for truth.

Certainly ID in all its various forms is one of those things on which there
is "honest disagreement between [sic] Christians." The ASA leadership has
said many times on this board that ASA is not only a "TE" organization.

That said, if the reports about the "Expelled" film being disingenuous in
its reportage are true, then I would hope that even the ID-friendly people
in the ASA would disavow the film. But it's hard to know whom to believe
when the question is so hotly political.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School