Re: [asa] Expelled Explained

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 14:45:24 EDT

Michael Schermer did a review of Expelled for SA. Schermer graduated from
Pepperdine in 1974 when we was a Christian. One of the scenes of the movie
was shot at the university. Here's his description:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=ben-steins-expelled-review-michael-shermer

In 1974 I matriculated at Pepperdine University as a born-again Christian
who rejected Darwinism<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=darwin-on-the-right>and
evolutionary theory—not because I knew anything about it (I didn't)
but
because I thought that in order to believe in God and accept the Bible as
true, you had to be a creationist. What I knew about evolution came
primarily from creationist literature, so when I finally took a course in
evolutionary theory in graduate school I realized that I had been
hoodwinked. What I discovered is a massive amount of evidence from multiple
sciences—geology, paleontology, biogeography, zoology, botany, comparative
anatomy, molecular biology, genetics and embryology—demonstrating that
evolution happened.

It was with some irony for me, then, that I saw Ben Stein's antievolution
documentary film, *Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed*, opens with the actor,
game show host and speechwriter for Richard Nixon addressing a packed
audience of adoring students at Pepperdine University, apparently falling
for the same trap I did.
Actually they didn't. The biology professors at Pepperdine assure me that
their mostly Christian students fully accept the theory of evolution. So who
were these people embracing Stein's screed against science? Extras.
According to Lee Kats, associate provost for research and chair of natural
science at Pepperdine, "the production company paid for the use of the
facility just as all other companies do that film on our campus" but that
"the company was nervous that they would not have enough people in the
audience so they brought in extras. Members of the audience had to sign in
and a staff member reports that no more than two to three Pepperdine
students were in attendance. Mr. Stein's lecture on that topic was not an
event sponsored by the university." And this is one of the least dishonest
parts of the film.