Fwd: [asa] personal introduction and a question about textbooks

From: Douglas Hayworth <haythere.doug@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 12:58:22 EDT

On 4/9/08, Dennis Venema <Dennis.Venema@twu.ca> wrote:

> Perhaps it is time for a high school biology text with sound science from
> Christian perspective? Has this issue been discussed here previously? Or
> do
> resources exist that I do not know about?

 Hi Dennis,

As a homeschooling father (and a PhD in evolutionary biology), I have
thought about the textbook issue quite a bit myself. When I have attempted
to start a discussion about it on this list, the response has not been very
helpful. However, this disappointing response is not the result of the list
contributors. I think it simply reflects the lack of good resources in this
area.

At the college level, I think the solution is easy. Just choose the best
available textbook for the subject (i.e., secular) and supplement with the
Haarsma book and aside-discussions of incidences where the textbook author
makes statements that belie philosophical naturalism. In my experience, such
occurences are very rare in college-level textbooks about core science
subjects including life sciences.

It is the junior high and highschool levels that present the real problem. I
have not been able to find any such materials. As far as I've found,
all Christian and homeschooling curricula are YEC on some level. I have
resorted to using regular (secular) textbooks, but the problem there for the
homeschooler is that answer keys and teaching aids are not readily available
to the public. That's not a big problem for me (other than the additional
time required), since I am qualified to grade things myself without
teacher's resources, but it would be a show-stopper for any non-scientist
parent.

I've been invited to contribute to a blog about this issue next month, so
I'll try to complete more specifics then.

Doug Hayworth
Rockford, IL