Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 09:40:37 EDT

Don said: The redactor would have had severe cognitive dissonance.

I respond: It seems that "cognitive dissonance" didn't affect the ANE /
Hebrew mind the way it does ours. Read Kings and Chronicles together, for
example, and you get very different versions of Israel's history. That
didn't seem to bother the original compliers of the text -- which maybe
helps us understand something about what kinds of things the text is
primarily about. (To be fair, certainly it did sometimes bother Rabbinic
scholarship, in which there are efforts at harmonization).

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Don Nield <d.nield@auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> philtill@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Two questions for you:
> >
> > 1.? Why do you think this redaction doesn't make sense, considering that
> > the redactor wanted to preserve both texts?? 2.? How do you explain the
> > mundane details in the geneology if it is not supposed to be a memory of a
> > real history?
> >
> > Phil
> >

> 1. The redactor would have had severe cognitive dissonance.
> 2. Symbolism
> Don

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law