Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 01:19:36 EDT

Hi, Denis! Good to hear from you again!

Just to expand on this a little...

This is somewhat akin in my mind to the question, "What exactly do you
think that the 'moments' of the creation of man looked like?"

Just how would we imagine that the writers of Genesis might craft their
story in such a way that it would more accurately reflect (in English,
yet!) the Creation process as we have come to understand it? That would
arguably require that the Genesis writers create images and descriptors
beyond the boundaries of their context of understanding and experience.
But that is not the human way - the way we make sense of things is to
create mental models that are composite reflections of our experience,
bound together with a little speculation or extrapolation afforded by
our imagination. And when we tell a story or explain something, we [by
definition!] use just such models, crafting a portrait of the new, but
painting with the familiar. [Even the book of Revelation uses the
familiar in its descriptions to tell its story.]

Just as you say, we would not expect the writers of Genesis, under
inspiration or not, to describe with any accuracy that which was beyond
their ken, ...to write something which was to them nonesensical. The
basic task of the author is to offer a narrative that is coherent and
understandable. That's just how a story works. It follows naturally that
the framework and details of the Genesis stories embodied concepts and
images and flow drawn from the understanding of their time.

It would appear quite unreasonable then to hold those Genesis writers
accountable for a creation story that is more consonant with 21st
century concepts and western-style accuracy of detail. Shucks, we don't
even require that accuracy of the best descriptions of biological
processes offered as little as 100 years ago, let alone thousands of
years! We simply smile in a respectful way as we read their best shots,
rendered through their lenses of understanding in their particular days.

Surely we can cut the writers of Genesis some slack for having written
the story in its native and remarkably and enjoyably timeless form.
Surely, we can read their descriptions respectfully, but not get stuck
with trying to make something of them that they were never intended to
be. That is just not the point of the story. The wrangling about the
scientific accuracy, or perhaps even a high degree of concordance of the
Genesis narrative (and literalist inerrancy in general) would seem to be
more about us than the essential messages of Scripture.

...or so it seemeth to me.

Respectfully, JimA [Friend of ASA]