Re: [asa] personal introduction and a question about textbooks

From: <drsyme@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 15:55:42 EDT

Welcome!

Why would a "sound science (text) from a Christian perspective," be any different than just a sound sciend text?

On Wed Apr 9 15:34 , Dennis Venema sent:

Hello everyone,

As a recent subscriber to this mail list, I thought a brief introduction
might be in order before I begin to contribute.

My training is as a developmental biologist and Drosophila geneticist. I
study pattern formation during development using cell / molecular biology
techniques and confocal microscopy. I am in a tenure-track faculty position
at Trinity Western University (Langley, BC Canada) and currently filling the
role of biology department chair here.

I am also interested / engaged with teaching research, particularly with
respect to teaching genetics. More recently, I have been drawn into the
whole discussion of origins. The impetus for this was a request to edit a
book chapter on biology / faith issues. The "edit" became a major reworking
of the chapter and also forced me to read deeply / widely on this issue for
the first time.

My personal journey on this issue started with an ambiguous YEC stance as a
youth, although my particular church didn't focus on the issue. During my
undergrad and early graduate school days I was enamored with ID without
seriously investigating it or reading critiques of it. Once getting the job
at TWU I left the issue on the back burner as I focused on teaching and
getting my research program off the ground (no small feat at a small
institution). When the opportunity to edit/revise this chapter came along I
fell headlong into the debate - and emerged as a theistic evolutionist /
evolutionary creationist, despite my initial pro-ID leanings.

As I have read up on the history of this debate my hat is off to those who
have hoed this hard earth before me - Van Till, Lamoureux, Collins, Keith
Miller, Colling, the Haarsmas and many others whom I have yet to read.
Denis, as a newcomer I would like to hear more of your story - or, if it is
in print somewhere, perhaps you could direct me to it. I'm looking forward
to reading your new book, and your recent article in PSCF was excellent. I
have a colleague in OT studies here at TWU who introduced me to ANE
cosmology, but having your work in PSCF means I have an easy resource to
direct students to. Thank you.

--

One small question that has been brewing as I have engaged this debate is
that in terms of Christian biology textbooks / resources the only ones I

Perhaps it is time for a high school biology text with sound science from a
Christian perspective? Has this issue been discussed here previously? Or do
resources exist that I do not know about?

Thanks all,

Dennis

--

Dennis R. Venema, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Chair, Biology Dept.

604-513-2121 ext. 3446
dennis.venema@twu.ca

http://www.twu.ca/academics/science/biology/faculty/venema/