Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 15:11:06 EDT

Interesting. Matt. 22:30 and Mark 12:25 are distinguishable b/c they talk
about angels "in heaven." Luke 20:34-36 seems to tie not marrying to a
state without death, and angels to the state without death, though the
syntax in English is unclear. And Jesus is responding here to Pharisees who
knew of and presumably accepted (?) the Watcher tradition, so it seems
unlikely that they would have seen Jesus' comments here as contradicting
that tradition. More likely it is those angels "in heaven," rather than the
fallen Watchers, which have a share in the eschaton where there is no
marriage.

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law