Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: Bethany Sollereder <bsollereder@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 13:47:46 EDT

David,

I'm not sure if the Hercules analogy was the best possible. Perhaps a
reference to popular hagiography would have been better... perhaps like St.
Boniface and Thor's Oak. Powerful legend (that after the first axe stroke,
a wind blew the tree down to reveal its rotted inner core) is built around a
kernel of historical truth.
In Adam's case, it behooves us to consider the mythologies of the nations
surrounding post-Exodus Israel and how dialogue with those cultures shaped
how they saw the world and themselves. The incredible similarities in terms
of motifs like seas of chaos, magical trees, serpents, gardens, exile,
floods and so on cause the dissimilarities in regards to the nature and
character of God and humans to stand out in stark contrast. The "kernel of
historical truth" need be little more than "God created, every human sins,
and God has since been working towards redemption". If nothing else, the
character of God that is portrayed is certainly historical truth!

I agree that "this is one of those questions that requires careful treading"
but I don't think that after long, deliberate, and careful study we should
hesitate to draw conclusions that we can hold confidently, even if also
provisionally.

Bethany Sollereder