Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: Bethany Sollereder <bsollereder@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Apr 09 2008 - 12:12:12 EDT

Chris,

I feel that we should be careful about too hastily ascribing historicity to
biblical characters simply because other biblical authors refer to them.
For one thing, they had to use the stories that carried currency in their
culture. People would have been familiar with who Enoch was (meant to be)
and what he stood for. That would have been enough to use him as a powerful
symbol. I might talk about 'herculean efforts', but that doesn't mean I
think Hercules was a historical figure. Same thing with Adam. They used
him as a type, and even perhaps believed that he was a true historical
figure, but that doesn't mean that we must also ascribe historicity to him.

Even if Paul and the other biblical writers did not think of Adam as a
'real' person, what other story could they have used? If they are talking
about one man dealing with the sin of the world, and in your tradition you
have the story of one man who brought sin into the world, you'd be a fool
not to use that sort of imagery. We all use the stories and myths and real
histories that give shape to our world view. We can hardly expect the
biblical authors to do otherwise.

Bethany Sollereder