Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 21:44:45 EDT

I affirm that the patriarchs were real people. The point was just that
there are historical difficulties with all of them as well as with other OT
characters. Not sure about Job and Jonah. Also, the historiography of the
events described with respect to the patriarchs is an interesting question
-- not fictive, it seems to me, but also not "plain" history.

Though I affirm Abraham as a historical person, I'm not sure the Josephus
reference helps. That's much later and it comes with its own agenda. And
my understanding (limited) is that Berossus didn't refer to Abraham by name,
but that Josephus made that identification based on Berossus' general
description. Cite for the Berossus quote?

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law