Re: [asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 21:17:58 EDT

The possibility that a "supposed burial site" of Jonah in Nineveh might be the product of the imagination of or believers centuries later might be considered. Ditto fvor other "proofs."

Anyone who's been to Israel knows of the many gospel sites identified by "pious Christian tradition" - i.e., by Christians centuries after the events took place. E.g., the site traditionally identified as that of the wedding at Cana is wrong, but it's more accessible for pilgrims than the out-of-the-way real Cana. Of course this doesn't mean that all the traditional identifications are wrong. (E.g., there's good evidence that the Church of the Resurrection - aka Holy Sepulchre - really does enclose the site of Golgotha & the tomb of Christ. OTOH the traditional via dolorossa is wrong.) But just a tradition of pointing to some spot & identifying it with a biblical event or person proves next to nothing.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/