[asa] Was Adam a real person?

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 12:36:14 EDT

Hi all-

 I still have a question. For those who think that Adam was not a real
person in history, how do you answer the critic that says this idea
undermines the whole Bible, since likewise if Adam didn't exist then
other characters maybe didn't exist either (Noah, Jonah, Abraham, &
Moses). If the Bible is undermined, then the faith is on shaky ground,
since it is difficult to know what is true and what isn't.

 I've asked before, but don't think I've gotten any straight, crisp,
answers. Can someone point me to some references or sources for the
answer? Is this a straight-forward question that is being routinely
ignored or shunted or re-directed?

 I'm not looking for answers as to why Adam must have been real, but
looking for answers to the criticism of those who say he was not a real
person.

  Here's what I think the answer is-- tell me if it looks reasonable:

The Bible must be studied with what we know of nature. If a Biblical
story conflicts with natural science, then we must pick the clearer over
the foggier; and if science is clearer, we must accept that. Example,
those who read the Bible with ancient science thought the sun revolved
around the earth. Now we know the earth revolves around the sun, so
science is therefore used to interpret Scripture. Likewise, we know
that evolution works on groups of people, and there was no "first,
unique" man... man evolved like all other life-forms, over vast amounts
of times within populations. Therefore, we know from science there was
no first man named Adam, as there is no such thing as a "first" man.