Re: [asa] Fw: Message to Jennifer M. Granholm, Governor of Michigan

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 14:22:56 EDT

A small correction about "mutation." My old Webster's Unabridged has 14
meanings in 5 major categories. Included is a meaning about general
sudden change, along with specific references to music and language. Two
major categories fit biology generally, one of which is specific to
paleontology. To have to specify meaning 4a or 4b or 4c in a biological
context would, I am certain, be stupid. To specify that the meaning is
not biological in a treatise on medieval music would be equally stupid.

By the way, "evolution" has a longer entry.
Dave (ASA)