Re: [asa] Fw: Message to Jennifer M. Granholm, Governor of Michigan

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 13:08:19 EDT

As Rodney King famously said, "can't we all just get along?" Is there
really any point in discussing ad infinitum who was or wasn't rude?

I don't agree that this forum should be focused on biology and origins. As
I understand it, this is a general discussion list sponsored by the ASA on
issues arising from the intersection of Christian faith and science. As
such, discussion of the philosophy of science, the sociology of scientific
practice, the ethics of technology, and so on, seem well within bounds.

Part of the subtext here, it seems to me, is a knee jerk reaction against
any effort to place the scientific theory of biological evolution into a
sociological, philosophical, or historical framework. Maybe this is
understandable, given that YEC and IDism often use the rhetoric of
scientific paradigms, etc., in unfair and damaging ways. OTOH, it seems to
me ludicrous to presume that the theory of evolution is perfectly pure,
decontextualized, ahistorical, and empirical. Science includes both Dr.
Spock and Capt. Kirk.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Dave Wallace <wdwllace@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Gregory Arago wrote:
> If you
>
> > don't yet know this, please don't weigh in as an authority on the issue.
> >

> Greg, the above comes across as a very arrogant, condescending statement.
> Depending upon the case it may or may not be true. However as someone who
> is prone to making the same kind of statements I have learned that it is
> almost never helpful to state it and just invites a bad response. Remember
> sometimes one turns out to be wrong.
>
> As Jack says in a later note if you want to fight the battle for
> recognition of the social sciences, this is probably not the best forum.
>
> Dave W (CSCA)

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School