Re: [asa] Fw: Message to Jennifer M. Granholm, Governor of Michigan

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Apr 05 2008 - 18:24:28 EDT

Fair enough. Let it be calmly said that you, David, are likewise not an evangelical-only, to the exclusion of everything else that is Christian. This thought is expressed in the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., "the most segregated hour of Christian America is eleven o'clock on Sunday morning." Yes, a robust hermeneutic is needed for dialogue and criticism of biology, so that it doesn't, for example, swallow-up theology with its Dobzhansky and Teilhard de Chardin-inspired, etc. TE/ECism. 'Populist evangelism' may well be a real phenomena in America (I am not qualified to speak on this), but it is a sociological phenomena, and not something that a biologist, theologian, dentist, physicist, psychologist or geologist can speak with wisdom about. Surely you are not suggesting that 'evangelism' is just an-other 'discipline' in the academy?!

David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com> wrote: Ok, but I don't want to suggest Denis' basic observations about populist evangelicalism are off base. Surely we evangelicals do need a more robust hermeneutic so that we can dialogue with, and perhaps sometimes challenge, other disciplines, including biology.