[asa] Fw: Message to Jennifer M. Granholm, Governor of Michigan

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 18:42:01 EDT

----- Forwarded Message -----

Recently a public school teacher was fired for presenting Intelligent
Design to her students.
Coral Ridge ministries wrote an interesting request to the Governor of
Michigan. I thought you might like to note its contents - for your own
storehouse of knowledge.

The FACT that HUNDREDS OF PH.D.-LEVEL SCIENTISTS, including those with
doctorates from Cambridge, Standford, Cornell, Yale, Rutgers, Chicago,
Princeton, Purdue, Duke, Michigan, Syracuse, Temple, and Berkeley, and
teachers at MIT, Tulane, Rice, Emory, George Mason, Lehigh, and the
Universities of California, Washington, Texas, Florida, North Carolina,
Wisconsin, Ohio, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Georgia, New Mexico,
Utah, Pennsylvania, and elsewhere, have publicly expressed deep
skepticism of Darwinism, with one-hundred signing their names to a A
SCIENTIFIC DISSENT FROM DARWINISM;

THE FACT that scientists such as biophysicist Dr. Dean Kenyon, author of
a leading textbook on biology, astronomer Dr. Allan Sandage, called by
the New York Times "the Old Man of Cosmology," and countless others have
now RENOUNCED DARWINISM AND EMBRACED THE INTELLIGENT DESIGN THEORY OF
NATURE based on their scientific observations;

THE FACT that leading paleontologists, such as Dr. Colin Patterson of the
British Museum of Natural HIstory, and the late Dr. Stephen J. Gould of
Harvard, have admitted that after 150 years of discovering fossils, MAJOR
LIFE FORMS SEEM TO HAVE APPEARED VIRTUALLY INTACT WITHOUT THE "MISSING
LINKS" PREDICTED BY DARWIN AND ESSENTIAL TO HIS THEORY:

THE FACT that teaching the Intelligent Design Theory of nature or
questioning Darwinism DOES NOT VIOLATE THE U. S. CONSTITUTION because it
does not require tax-funded schools to teach any particular viewpoint,
but only science;

THE FACT that many well-qualified academics and researchers, as both The
Coral Ridge Hour Hour television program and the movie "Expelled: No
Intelligence Allowed" have shown, have been denied tenure and, in some
cases, employment as a consequence of questions raised or doubts
expressed about the evolutionary account for the origin of life:

    I join with thousands of other citizens to insist that our state
guarantee full protection to
    any instructor in a publicly-funded educational institution, who
teaches objections to
    Darwinism or Intelligent Design Theory - shielding them from
termination, demotion,
    harassment, or any other penalty they might incur, due to their
balanced inclusion of
    Intelligent Design Theory or challenges to Darwinism in their
instruction of students.
    Please let me know what you intend to do to protect the academic
freedom of science
    instructors in our state.

Respectfully,

Signed

My response:
The Honorable Jennifer M. Granholm, Governor of Michigan
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, MI 48909

Dear Madam:

One if your constituents E-mailed me a copy of the letter sponsored by
Coral Gables Ministries about the teaching of Intelligent Design (ID).
I'm sure you've received many of them. The claim that ID is science is
bunk. Relatively few of the individuals who signed “A Scientific Dissent
from Darwinism” are versed in the biological sciences. It took some time
to collect the signatures. However, a contrary statement was signed by
many more biologists almost overnight. Additionally, I have read the
testimony given in the Dover, PA, trial regarding the teaching of ID,
along with Judge Jones’ decision. The judgment that ID is religion rather
than science is clearly correct. Hence no jurisdiction in your state
should espouse this view and be subject to judicial condemnation.

I visited the Coral Gables Church some twenty years ago. I noted numerous
cars in the church parking lot with bumper stickers claiming that bar
codes are the mark of the beast, 666. Unfortunately for their view, I
have yet to find bar codes on the forehead or right hand of human beings
any place on earth (see Revelation 13:16-18). I believe these bumper
stickers are indicative of the lack of rationality in much of what the
group sponsors.

Respectfully yours,

Dave (ASA)