Re: [asa] Woo and Response on KUNC

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 22:35:59 EDT

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Rich Blinne wrote:

> Scripture tells us one of the hallmarks of Creation by God is order (cf. 1
> Cor. 14). Science attests to this order. But you cannot argue in my opinion
> from that order in the Universe to the (philosophically necessary) existence
> of God. Thus, what is in debate is whether intelligent design -- which all
> of us believes in -- is *scientifically* detectable. I am not sure that this
> is possible even in theory. It is up to those who claim that not only is
> possible but they have found such a detection mechanism to show that it is
> so.

A belief in order in the universe is fundamental for doing science. It
says in effect that scientific endeavor is possible. However, the belief
that the universal physical constants, for example, are really constant
cannot be absolutely proven scientifically. One cannot rule out the
possibility that they vary but too slightly for the variation to be
detected by the instruments that we have. Thus we might ask for an
analysis of the reason for this example of a faith generally held by
scientists.

A comment on design arguments: Even while we express skepticism that
design can be proven scientifically, we should nevertheless not lose sight
of the fact that some scientific discoveries (e.g. the Big Bang) have, at
least initially, proven to be very unsettling to many atheists.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)