Re: [asa] HPSS - Survey of Views

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 03 2008 - 17:54:28 EDT

I've read at least some of all four. I'd add another key name to the list
-- Roy Bhaskar.

I think it's critically important to understand scientific practice in its
social and cultural context, which is what I take as the project of each of
these folks, whatever the ultimate merits are of their conclusions. Whether
practicing scientists specifically think "I'm doing Popper here" or not
seems beside the point to me -- in fact, the extent to which practicing
scientists don't realize or acknowledge the social context of their day to
day work is itself an interesting question.

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law